annajmaxy

weave my words into worlds

Please don't count how many old "reviews" of mine say "review later", "more later", or variations thereupon. ... Actually, just ignore my blog until further notice.

Lirael
Garth Nix
The Silmarillion
J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien
Les Misérables
Victor Hugo, James Madden, Julie Rose, Adam Gopnik
SPOILER ALERT!

Fablehaven: Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary

Fablehaven: Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary - Brandon Mull Wow, Brandon. You've really done it. This is amazing. Extremely twisted, cliffhanger ending. If I didn't love the book so much, I would have thrown it against my bedroom wall because I was so sad it had to end where it did.

The action starts right at the beginning. If you're like me, you won't be able to put it down. I've already read this book twice, and I still can't put it down. I've innocently picked it up many-a-time, thinking, "Oh, I don't have anything else I want to read. I'll just read a few pages of this for fun." Nope. The story manages to suck me into it, no matter how much I've read it.

I especially love the dramatic irony, where the reader knows something the character doesn't. Some people think Kendra's kidnapping shouldn't have been told from her perspective, in order to create more drama and suspense, but I like it this way. I can't imagine having to explain what Kendra went through in dialogue...

I will never cease to marvel at how interesting Mull made the dragons. They're not just some huge creatures with wings. They're beautiful, they radiate terrible fear that holds most people in a trance, they're all totally unique. He describes them so vividly and leaves me begging for more. I don't even know how to describe it.

Poor Kendra. She's gone through so many betrayals, and in this book, she faces the worst one yet. I think it scarred me a little inside, to be honest. Gavin was my favorite character! It completely blindsided me, and I still can't get over it. I have decided that Kendra was talking to a stingbulb that framed Gavin, and Gavin is really in hiding. Or something...

Also, I can't get over the last sentence. I honestly turned a few pages after it, thinking, "That's not it! There's gotta be more! Just one more chapter!"

Brandon Mull has now been added to my list of heroes for writing a book - four books - like this. This installment is tied with the third one for my favorite in the series.