annajmaxy

weave my words into worlds

Please don't count how many old "reviews" of mine say "review later", "more later", or variations thereupon. ... Actually, just ignore my blog until further notice.

Lirael
Garth Nix
The Silmarillion
J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien
Les Misérables
Victor Hugo, James Madden, Julie Rose, Adam Gopnik
SPOILER ALERT!

Wintergirls

Wintergirls - Laurie Halse Anderson I think Wintergirls deserves a new review. After what I've learned this year, it just isn't fair to keep the review the way it was when I first wrote it. I'll leave some material from the original review, though.

*****************

Wintergirls gets you thinking. It disturbed me, but in an almost desirable, necessary way. This is the kind of book that you wonder about for a while after you put it down and it kind of stays in the back of your mind for hours. I also thought the crossed-out words and calorie-counting were very interesting ideas, and they achieved the desired effect for me.

My main peeve with the book was the imagery. Anderson had this thing for very odd metaphors. They were often random and almost too deeply thought out - it got to the point where I didn't understand the majority of them. There were a few times where I had absolutely no idea what was real and what wasn't, due to the formatting and unusual writing style.

There were a few clichés that irritated me as well: the father never being around, having to put Cassie's ghost "to rest", always fighting with Mom, having issues calling the stepmom "mother", etc. I understand that clichés can add to a storyline, but these were just a little too overdone for me.

Needless to say, it was difficult to read. I can get a little squeamish when people discuss internal organs and injuries in detail... I had to skim a few parts. This wasn't the fault of the author, though, so I don't know why I'm saying this.

Previously, I said that Lia bothered me. This is the main thing that has changed. She isn't likable as a character, but that's because her depression and anorexia are so realistic. Anderson took a serious risk with a character like Lia, because it's nearly impossible to find a balance between a likable, relatable one and a truly realistic one. Laurie Halse Anderson obviously chose the realistic end of the spectrum. Self-hatred completely alters a person and often results in a less-than-enjoyable personality--it took a good portion of sophomore year for me to understand this.

I'm still a little confused about my feelings toward Wintergirls, despite having plenty of time to think about it. Would I recommend it? To certain people, maybe. Did I enjoy it? Maybe. I'll just shut up and leave others to decide what they think.