annajmaxy

weave my words into worlds

Please don't count how many old "reviews" of mine say "review later", "more later", or variations thereupon. ... Actually, just ignore my blog until further notice.

Lirael
Garth Nix
The Silmarillion
J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien
Les Misérables
Victor Hugo, James Madden, Julie Rose, Adam Gopnik

Grip of the Shadow Plague

Grip of the Shadow Plague - Brandon Mull Amazing. Absolutely amazing. I've already read this book from cover to cover literally half-a-dozen times, yet it draws me in no matter what. I read almost all day today.

I love the struggle with light and dark in this book. Because of this, Grip of the Shadow Plague touches on many philosophical questions that are great starts for discussions. I think this book is also where everything really sinks in. Fablehaven isn't just a magical place with amazing creatures; it - and the world beyond - can be perilous and life-threatening. Not everyone is good. There's evil, death, darkness, and cruelty out there.

There's a lot of great tension, twists, and turns. A lot of times, I wanted to actually scream at the characters or cheer for them. I was laughing aloud many times because of Mull's witty dialogue. Mull keeps you very involved. Whenever I was doing something else, I was constantly thinking, "Why am I doing this? I could be reading now!"

Wow. In short, this series just blows me away. Brandon Mull remains and will remain one of my literary heroes.