annajmaxy

weave my words into worlds

Please don't count how many old "reviews" of mine say "review later", "more later", or variations thereupon. ... Actually, just ignore my blog until further notice.

Lirael
Garth Nix
The Silmarillion
J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien
Les Misérables
Victor Hugo, James Madden, Julie Rose, Adam Gopnik

Uglies

Uglies - Scott Westerfeld My only real problem with this book is that I probably can't write one of my own stories after reading it. I found too many similarities, and if I ever did manage to finish the story and try to get published, (ha!) there would be no way for me to prove that I didn't just copy. *frowns* But that's another matter.

I am particularly impressed with Scott Westerfeld's descriptions. They are quite vivid, lyrical, and create distinctive images, but it's never purple prose or out of character. He seems to know so many different words and the perfect way to use them in this or that situation. There were a few times when I wasn't sure of the surroundings, but I was trying to finish at two in the morning, so it was at least partially my fault.

I also thought the bit of romance in Uglies was refreshing. (I don't think this will spoil anything, for those of you who haven't read it.) The relationship does move a bit fast, but it comes naturally from a friendship, not obsession or stalking. It is clear that the characters don't like being away from each other when they have to, but they deal with it maturely. I've tried to find a realistic, enjoyable relationship in a novel for some time, and this is one of the few that fits the standard.
her mistakes fairly well. I liked her most of the time. The other characters--even those that don't do much--have distinct personalities.

As I've said many times before, it's difficult for me to review books I like, so I'm sure I'll end up adding to this later...