annajmaxy

weave my words into worlds

Please don't count how many old "reviews" of mine say "review later", "more later", or variations thereupon. ... Actually, just ignore my blog until further notice.

Lirael
Garth Nix
The Silmarillion
J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien
Les Misérables
Victor Hugo, James Madden, Julie Rose, Adam Gopnik

The Knife of Never Letting Go

The Knife of Never Letting Go  - Patrick Ness Flip. Flip. Flip. Fetch. Deuce. Schnikees. Flip. Flip. Freaking. Flip.

And those are my thoughts on The Knife of Never Letting Go.

In the first fifty pages, I had trouble getting used to the stream-of-consciousness sort of narrative, so I began the journey with some peeves about the storytelling and whatnot. Now, 427 pages later, I'm so flabberghasted that I don't even care about those minor issues. I loved this. I loved this.

Let me get one thing straight: I never cry in books. I've had two or three times where my eyes watered, but tears have never actually streaked down my face. This book changed that. I let a few tears go while I was actually reading, and during an emotional breakdown I had earlier today, I sobbed because I realized how much I felt like Todd. The only time I've connected with a character even close to this much was in The Fablehaven Series.

Patrick Ness has it all. One-liners, realistic dialogue, good descriptions, originality... You get the idea. I read the last 300 pages of this book in a matter of hours today.

My thoughts are still extremely jumbled from the exhausting reading experience I had, so I'm afraid this is the closest thing to a review you'll get.

...For Those of You Wondering About Content...

Violence: intense ideas; the descriptions aren't horribly gorey in detail, however
Language: one f-bomb; several other cuss words throughout
Other: deals with heavy--and I mean heavy--subject matter

If made into a movie, it would probably receive a PG-13 rating for violence, language, and thematic elements.