annajmaxy

weave my words into worlds

Please don't count how many old "reviews" of mine say "review later", "more later", or variations thereupon. ... Actually, just ignore my blog until further notice.

Lirael
Garth Nix
The Silmarillion
J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien
Les Misérables
Victor Hugo, James Madden, Julie Rose, Adam Gopnik

The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green (Before reading)

Huh, a match made in a support group? That's something I wish would have happened to me.

(After reading)

I'm still too lazy to write a full review, but I'm sure my rating looks a little out of place amidst all the 5-star reviews. I wanted to adore this book. It was my first time reading anything from John Green, and I'd heard amazing things about it, and now that I'm a nerdfighter I have even more respect for John Green. While I liked The Fault In Our Stars, though, it just... didn't "click" for me.

People post that it made them sob, made them laugh, made them rethink their lives, they couldn't look at the world the same way anymore, etc. But that just didn't happen for me. I knew from reading the summary that Augustus was going to die. While I laughed at several moments and I felt sorry for the characters at a few others, I just never felt that strongly. I didn't cry at all or even have the urge to. I knew that the author of An Imperial Affliction would turn out to be a jerk, and I didn't really have much sympathy for Hazel and Augustus when they didn't find out what happened to Anna. I mean, that's what books are about. They're supposed to leave you thinking, and if the author didn't write about something, then it's suggested that the readers could go without knowing for the rest of their lives and be fine. I just never felt much sympathy. Sad things happened, but they never felt real or connected to me, so I would just think, "Aw, that sucks. Moving on."

I don't know why I didn't love this book as much as so many others. Maybe it's just not the right genre for me. I still read through excerpts of it and I own a copy, so it's not that it's stupid or bad or poorly-written. I wouldn't tell anyone to stay away from The Fault In Our Stars, because odds are they would love it like most of the rest of the human population. I just didn't feel what the book suggested I should have felt. So... sorry, John Green. I'm still a nerdfighter and I'm still a fan.