annajmaxy

weave my words into worlds

Please don't count how many old "reviews" of mine say "review later", "more later", or variations thereupon. ... Actually, just ignore my blog until further notice.

Lirael
Garth Nix
The Silmarillion
J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien
Les Misérables
Victor Hugo, James Madden, Julie Rose, Adam Gopnik
SPOILER ALERT!

Heat

Heat - Mike Lupica Though I enjoyed it overall, the book was pretty predictable. Michael lies about his father being home and someone has to jump in and pretend for him--I've seen that mini-plot in too many Disney Channel episodes and sit-coms already. His life slowly falls apart because he can't play baseball and do what he loves most--seen that a lot too. He offends one of his friends and it takes lots of courage to apologize--again, seen that in a lot of books and movies and TV shows.

There's not a lot of originality left in the world. It's not that I can't forgive clichés; I just don't enjoy it when I can see almost everything coming in a story. It's not the best sports book I've read, but it wasn't the worst either.

You may notice that I originally gave the book a higher rating... I tend to be over-enthusiastic after I finish a book, so my rating often goes down once I consider it more. And yeah. Ta-da...