annajmaxy

weave my words into worlds

Please don't count how many old "reviews" of mine say "review later", "more later", or variations thereupon. ... Actually, just ignore my blog until further notice.

Lirael
Garth Nix
The Silmarillion
J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien
Les Misérables
Victor Hugo, James Madden, Julie Rose, Adam Gopnik

Brody's Ghost, Volume 1

Brody's Ghost, Volume 1 - Mark Crilley 3.5 stars.

When I said this would be a quick read, I underestimated myself. I read the first volume of Brody's Ghost in half an hour. Not that this is a huge accomplishment, because the book really is quite short. It's hard to give a solid rating to something that only took up thirty minutes of my time.

I liked the artwork. Brody and Talia's character designs were quite interesting and easy on the eyes, and while Brody's Ghost isn't as "manga-y" as the graphic novels I see my friends reading, it still is a manga style. The plot (or beginnings of it) wasn't groundbreaking, but I kept reading because I'm interested in the genre, and it wasn't clichéd enough to make me put the book down.

I got a bit annoyed with Talia's "ya" instead of "you" and "gotta" instead of "got to"--I couldn't tell if she was supposed to have a New York accent or if it was meant to make her seem more girly or if it was just a stylistic choice.

So, not blow-your-socks-off-can't-stop-thinking-about-it-amazing, but not bad, either. I'll probably check out the sequels when I get money to spare.